Recipe: Microwave orange and almond loaf
One of the best things about senior living is the free time on your hands to relax and take part in the activities you enjoy. However, even with the extra hours in the day, time can slip away from us – causing a rush and panic to get things done.
If you've suddenly remembered the grandchildren are coming over and you only have a few minutes to prepare, you could struggle to scrape together a tasty afternoon tea.
Rather than having to break out the unfulfilling chocky biscuits, have a crack at this delicious orange and almond syrup loaf. Using the microwave instead of the oven, you can have this treat cooked and ready in just 10 minutes!
Microwave orange and almond loaf
Satisfy your sweet cravings quick with this recipe adapted from Taste.com.au. This simple and quick recipe will ensure you are never caught short when surprised by guests and, with a generous serving of orange juice, you should have no trouble meeting your daily Vitamin C requirements.
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup orange juice (fresh or bottled)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/4 cup milk
For the syrup:
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- Combine the main ingredients in a bowl. Stir well and pour into a greased and lined microwave-safe loaf pan.
- Microwave the mixture on high for six or seven minutes (Until top is firm to touch).
- While the mixture is in the microwave, start on the orange syrup. Combine the orange juice and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add two tablespoons of cold water and bring to a simmer.
- Stir the mixture occasionally and remove from heat after two minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the microwave and turn out onto a plate. Drizzle the syrup over the cake to your preference.
- Serve while warm for a sweet and filling treat.